Monday 26 February 2018

Why misconceptions of eating disorders can be damaging

 Many people still don't know the signs someone has an eating disorder.

Of 2,108 adults surveyed by YouGov, 79% were unable to name psychological symptoms, such as low self-esteem or body dysmorphia.

But for yoga instructor James Downs, and blogger Aliss Bonython, this doesn't come as a surprise.

They both live with eating disorders and say a misconception around what that looks like has been very damaging.

James says he was diagnosed with anorexia when he was 15. He's now 28 and a healthy weight but tells Newsbeat he still deals with bulimia everyday.

"I've worked really hard to be a 'normal' weight and I look 'normal' - so people find my bulimia quite hard to understand.

"When I was really underweight, obviously people knew something was wrong, it was very visible that I was not okay."


Source : bbc

No comments:

Post a Comment