Friday 2 March 2018

‘The Most Hated Person on Campus’: Why Some College Republicans Are Channeling Donald Trump

Ariana Rowlands, chairwoman of the California College Republicans, poses for a portrait at the University of California, Irvine, Jan. 31, 2018. Angie Smith for TIME

Ariana Rowlands is like a lot of young conservatives these days. The chairwoman of the California College Republicans enjoys edgy memes, gun-range socials, needling liberals and President Donald Trump. “Trump is this tangible symbol we can look at and think, ‘I can do that too. I can say what I actually believe in,’” says the fiery 21-year-old senior at the University of California, Irvine. “Some people aren’t going to like me for it, but I can say it now. So I think he’s been incredible, especially for the College Republican movement.”

College campuses are like funhouse mirrors, reflecting society’s controversies in skewed proportions. So it’s no surprise that one year into the Trump era, quads across the U.S. are deeply divided about the direction of his presidency.


Source : Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment