Sunday 11 March 2018

Indian Wells: Novak Djokovic beaten by world number 109 Taro Daniel

Novak Djokovic suffered a shock defeat by world number 109 Taro Daniel of Japan as he was knocked out of the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells.

The 30-year-old lost 7-6 (7-3) 4-6 6-1 in the second-round tie on his first appearance since an injury ended his Australian Open challenge in January.

Djokovic had further surgery on a persistent elbow injury in February.

"It felt like first match I ever played on the tour. Very weird. I completely lost rhythm," said the Serb.

"I was grateful to be out on the court after surgery that quickly but at the same time I just didn't feel good at all."

"I was not even supposed to be here because of the surgery that was only five, six weeks ago. But I recovered very quickly, and I got myself ready."

The defeat was just the fifth time in the past decade former world number one Djokovic has lost against a player outside the top 100 players in the world.


Source : bbc

No comments:

Post a Comment