Sunday 11 March 2018

Mother's Day: How migration changed our families

Priscilla Ng'ethe, Zara Rashid and I all have something in common: our mothers are all immigrants.

Our grandmas still live in their home countries of Kenya, Pakistan and Guyana, but we all grew up in the UK.

Our mums made the journey abroad to England and by doing so they changed our lives forever.

Were they happy with the decision to leave - and was it even their choice? On Mother's Day, this is their story.

Growing up in a predominately white town, I struggled at times. I didn't 'look' like all the other kids.

My nose and lips were significantly bigger and my mum didn't sound like all the other mums.

That's because my mum Maureen Dasilva Peers was born in Guyana, South America.

She came to the UK aged just 17.

Mum is one of eight children. Her mother, 81-year-old Habula Karamat, still lives in Guyana. All eight of her children emigrated, searching for a better life overseas.

 Source : bbc

No comments:

Post a Comment