Sunday 11 March 2018

Mental health: 'You shouldn't have to be suicidal to get support'

A teenager with an eating disorder was told she "wasn't thin enough" to get mental health support.

It's one of the stories shared in a report about mental health services for children and young people in England.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) says there are delays in getting access to help because of confusing referral systems and staff shortages.

The Children's Commissioner for England says some children had told her they "felt they had to attempt to take their own life in order to access treatment".

Newsbeat has been speaking to Chloe and George who struggled to get help with their mental health.

George is 21 and from Winchester, and says he started having panic attacks after a bad experience taking drugs at a festival.

"It led to me not leaving the house and then... the OCD came, I couldn't touch anything. I had to wash my hands straight away.

"I went to the GP and it was recommended that I go to CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services).

 Source : bbc

No comments:

Post a Comment